I didn’t plan to write about our trip to St Mary’s, but I’ve had quite a few questions about our voyage, so you’ll have to excuse the use of phone photos.. I was too busy enjoying the trip to whack out the DSLR!
Getting there 🌊🚢
We stayed in Penzance, so were lucky enough to be able to walk down to the ferry, The Scillonian III for our voyage. The boat leaves the harbour at 9:15 am, but everyone has to be boarded half an hour prior.
- The cheapest option with a a day trip adult return at £45, and £10 per dog.
- Great views as your sail past Land’s End, and occasional wildlife sightings; including seals, birds and occasionally dolphins! 🐬
- There were so many adorable dogs aboard! We even found this sweet poodle girl named Phoebe. 👇
- It’s a 2 hr 45 minute journey each way. Worth it. I recommend bringing a book, and snacks.
- If you’re prone to sea-sickness, it may be worth looking into flying there. The locals affectionately call it the Spewy Scillonian! 🤢
The ferry docks in Hugh Town, St Mary’s, and the last trip home leaves at 16:30 pm.
Now booking a day return is definitely ambitious if you want to explore. Wanting to make the most of our time on St Mary’s, we booked a golf cart. I can’t express how amazing this was! 🚙
It allowed us to zoom off to beaches and woodland, stopping at pottery barns, galleries, plant shops, and a cafe; returning to Hugh Town in time for our trip home. We hired ours from The Scilly Cart Co. It’s worth noting that you have to be over 21 to drive one.
Having researched ahead of time, we made a beeline for Bar Point, which is dog friendly all year round. The forest walk down to the shore reminded me of France, the plant life really is nothing like the rest of the UK!
This was probably my favourite bit of Scilly, sitting on the white sand, enjoying watching sail boats go by.
There are 5 inhabited islands in Scilly, with St Mary’s being the most popular. Saying that, it was wonderfully peaceful, and we couldn’t have asked for better weather.
We had the most wonderful whirlwind trip to The Isles Of Scilly, I’d love to go back and do some island hopping! If you’d like to find out more about the Islands, here is the link to their official website: https://www.visitislesofscilly.com/
Have you left the mainland with your pup?
Thanks for reading our blog,
Amy 🙋 & one Scilly Tilly 🐩